IGAD Sheikh Technical Veterinary School and Reference Centre (ISTVS) is a regional institution located in Sheikh, in the Sahil highlands (Somaliland). Its mission is to build drought sustainable resilient pastoral and agro-pastoral communities through training and research and skills development.
ISTVS’ main characteristics are:
- Student-centred learning methodology with emphasis on hands-on practical skills
- Specialized in arid and semi-arid lands (ASALs) where the predominant animal production system is pastoral
Emphasis on economics, marketing and regulations on animal and animal products international trade.
|Courses for Academic Year 2018-2019|
|ISTVS offers a new 4-year course, awarding University of Nairobi Bachelor in Science in Dry-land Economics and Agro-ecosystem Management (BSc DEAM)
|ISTVS also offers a 3-year courses, awarding Makerere
University Higher Diplomas in Livestock Health Sciences(DLH), and in Livestock Product Development and Entrepreneurship (DLPDE).
Graduates of the DLH and DLPDE will be furnished with knowledge and skills to support the pastoral production and export oriented system. Traditional livestock markets are demanding observance of international standards, so as to safeguard public health and to improve livestock production and animal welfare.
ISTVS graduates may upgrade their Diplomas to fully-fledged Degrees, at other Universities within the IGAD region with whom ISTVS has agreements.
|Student accommodation is available within ISTVS premises. It is mandatory for foreign students of non-Somali origin, while foreign students of Somali origin and Somali students may organise their own accommodation within Sheikh town, or be accommodated in ISTVS while places last. Cost: USD 120 per month to cover ISTVS accommodation and meals.
Admission criteria for both courses: admission is based on the following minimum qualifications:
To apply to ISTVS, applicants should submit the following:
– As the Foundation Course takes place during Semester One, students pay USD 305 for the Foundation Course.
– Only those students proceeding to DEAM, DLH or DLPDE will pay the remainder of their semester fee
– Graduation and transcript costs are additional and vary according to accrediting institution
– Costs apply to 2018/2019 academic year
Documentation should be sent to, not later than June 23rd 2018.
IGAD Sheikh Technical Veterinary School and Reference Centre, Sheikh, Somaliland
Tel: +252 2730118 or +252 2 4400433
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Visit our website for more information: www.stvs-edu.org